American Ways An Introduction to American Culture 4th edition
As the cultural diversity of the United States continues to increase, the issue surrounding multiculturalism continue to be of great importance. With updates throughout and a fresh new design, this book retains its values-based perspective in examining what makes the United States Unique and how traditional values influence various aspects of American life, such as religion, business, government, race relations, education, recreation, and family. New for the 4th edition:
- Enhanced focus on critical thinking, including assessing information, comparing alternative points of view, identifying potential problems and solutions, and being a questioning reader.
- More explicit development of reading skills: skimming, scanning, predicting, and understanding main ideas and details.
- An expanded writing task at the end of each chapter that focuses on identifying and organizing academic information into main ideas and supporting details and is often preceded by discussion, research, and completion of graphic organizers.
- New sources, poll data, and information on challenges such as rising national debt, gun violence, and immigration reform.
- Online interviews with a diverse group of Americans as well as recordings of all the readings in the Student Book.
Kapitler: 1: Introduction: Understanding the Culture of the United States, 2: Traditional American Values and Beliefs, 3: The American Religious Heritage, 4: The Frontier Heritage, 5: The Heritage of Abundance, 6: The World of American Business, 7: Government and Politics in the United States, 8: Ethnic and Racial Diversity in the United States, 9: Education in the United States, 10: How Americans Spend Their Leisure Time, 11: The American Family, 12: American Values at the Crossroads.
Amerikansk kultur, engelske læsetekster
JoAnn Crandall, Maryanne Datesman, Edward Kearny
High Intermediate til Advanced